Magic Sysreg key problems.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 21 15:19:10 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 07:55 +0200, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> Now press the right ALT key together with PrtScrn...

With qualifier keys, such as CTRL, SHIFT, ALT, which change the
behaviour of other keys (a becomes A, etc.), it's usually best to press
the qualifier key first before the next key, so that you get the
alternative function rather than the usual one.

e.g. Try pressing SHIFT & A together, versus hold SHIFT down and press
A, and see if you always get a capital A.  You don't, always.  It may
depend on luck, and how your keyboard is scanned.  And, depending on
what you're trying to do, you may *need* to do exactly what you want,
first go.

I've just done this on my laptop, repeatedly, and this is the result:
AAAAaAAAAAaaAaAAAAAAAaaAAA

Just the same way as the A key can produce "a" or "A," depending on you
using it with the shift key.  The PrintScreen/SystemRequest key is a
dual purpose key, and which function you get depends on the qualifier
key used with it.

So... if you don't quite get the behaviour you expect, press and hold
down ALT, first.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686