Thanks and one more XFCE question - USB devices, was Re: XFCE keyboard and windowing functionality loss

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Aug 21 18:48:32 UTC 2012

On 08/21/2012 10:56 AM, Max Pyziur uttered this comment:
>> On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 21:24:05 -0400 (EDT)
>> Max Pyziur <pyz at brama.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> I know that there is an oddity/bug  in XFCE that the keyboard stops
>>> functioning if you hold down one of the shift keys for too long.
>>>
>>> But this seems to be something very differt.
>>>
>>> If anyone has experienced this problem and resolved it, please share
>>> your solution.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, it's into the Gnome 3 world.
>>
>> Sounds like (as several other folks have mentioned) xfwm4 died.
>>
>> If you can get to a terminal, do:
>>
>> xfwm4 --replace &
>>
>> If you cannot, you can try clearing your session out and logging in
>> again:
>>
>> rm ~/.cache/sessions/xfce4-sessions*
>>
>> Note that this will clear out things like what applications you had
>> running, etc.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>
> Much thanks for this and similar replies. It looks as though this is the
> course to take in order to correct this issue.
>
> I have two machines where I have been using the Xfce desktop, a Dell
> laptop (Inspiron 600m) and a home-built 64-bit dual-core.
>
> When I insert a USB flash drive on the 64-bit machine, an icon shows up on
> the desktop. Right-clicking on the icon shows a menu that allows me to
> mount the drive.
>
> On the i386 laptop, no icons appear when a USB flash drive is inserted. A
> file browser window is opened; then clicking on the USB drive gets the
> drive mounted.
>
> Is there some place in the settings to make the behavior of the i386 more
> like that of the x64?

Go to "Applications Menu->Settings->Removable Drives and Media" and
look at the "Storage" tab. Make sure both machines have the same
options set up. You can have drives automount, browse, etc. Odds are
you have differences between the machines.
-  Silence!  Or I shall replace you with a very small shell script!  -
-                                                - The Wizard of OS  -