Magic Sysreg key problems.

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 21 20:27:40 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 14:48 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 08/20/2012 02:27 PM, Aaron Konstam uttered this comment:
> > On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 13:20 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> >> On 08/20/2012 01:05 PM, Joe Zeff uttered this comment:

> >> It's supposed to be a simultaneous press of ALT, SYSRQ (or PRINTSCREEN)
> >> and the command key (B in your case). Note it only works if
> >> /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq contains a non-zero value. To enable ALL
> >> functionality, first set /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq to the value "1":
> >>
> >> 	echo "1" >/proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
> >>
> >> Then hit your key combo. Some keyboards may have issues with so many
> >> simultaneous keypresses. In those cases hold down ALT, then press and
> >> release SYSRQ, then press and release your command key and finally
> >> release ALT.
> >>
> >> It's been a while since I futzed with it. If you have the kernel-doc
> >> RPM installed, it's explained in
> >>
> >> 	/usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-(version)/Documentation/sysrq.txt
> > I appreciate all these tips but none make the sysrq suctions work. I'll
> > just give up.
>
> Worked for me on my Dell laptop.  Process:
>
> 	1. Did 'echo "1" >/proc/sys/kernel/sysrq'
> 	2. Held down left-ALT, held down PRNTSCR, pressed "h"
> 	3. Released all three keys
> 	4. Ran "dmesg" and saw this:
>
> [111065.967134] SysRq : HELP : loglevel(0-9) reBoot Crash
> terminate-all-tasks(E) memory-full-oom-kill(F) kill-all-tasks(I)
> thaw-filesystems(J) saK show-backtrace-all-active-cpus(L)
> show-memory-usage(M) nice-all-RT-tasks(N) powerOff show-registers(P)
> show-all-timers(Q) unRaw Sync show-task-states(T) Unmount force-fb(V)
> show-blocked-tasks(W) dump-ftrace-buffer(Z)
>
> 	5. Did 'echo "0" >/proc/sys/kernel/sysrq' to disable SYSRQ.
>
> Fully updated F17, 3.5.2-1.fc17.x86_64, XFCE and xfwm4 window manager.

First everyone seems to agree that it is the ALT button on the right
that needs to be used Theree seems to be general agreement if you don't
include the CTRL key only a snapshopt is genrqated the function is not
executed. I got the same output as you did but when I uswed b instead of
h I goot output about a reboot but it did not occur..

Ther lies the problem. I have 2 Della, a workstation and a laptop and
neither work the way they should.

Whne you use b instead of h do you get a reboot?.

It is not doing the thing we like to do, but liking the thing we have to
do, that makes life blessed. -- Goethe
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net