Magic Sysreg key problems.

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Aug 22 16:52:08 UTC 2012

On 08/22/2012 06:20 AM, Aaron Konstam uttered this comment:
> On Wed, 2012-08-22 at 22:32 +0930, Tim wrote:
>> On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 15:27 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>> Theree seems to be general agreement if you don't include the CTRL key
>>> only a snapshopt is genrqated the function is not executed.
>>
>> Depends on your user interface...  If you're using something like Gnome,
>> it's assigned its own function to ALT and PrintScreen (to screengrab the
>> current active window), versus PrintScreen (by itself, to screengrab the
>> whole desktop).
>>
>> Whereas, at a basic text-only console, it may be ignoring presses of the
>> PrintScreen/SystemRequest key, and pass it along, for something else to
>> deal with.
>>
>> The same goes for other hotkeys.  Outside of Gnome, for instance, you
>> can switch between terminals simply by pressing ALT and one of the
>> Function keys.  Inside Gnome, it's using those key combinations for its
>> own purposes, so another key sequence is used.  Again, adding CTRL to
>> it, does the job.
>>
> I did all these things in a alt-f2 console (no Gnome). And they still
> did not work. I want some one to tell me they hit: cntl+alr+sysrq b and
> got a reboot.

Running F17/x86_64, fully updated, XFCE/xwfm4 on my Dell N7110 laptop:

	1. echo "1" >/proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
	2. CTRL+ALT+F2 to get a text console
	3. Logged in as root
	4. LEFT-ALT+PRSCR+"b" = reboot

To reiterate, that was the left ALT key.

So it works for me, Aaron.