Second Monitor Configuration Confusion

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 23:08:09 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, 22. August 2012. 15.50.45 Fedora User wrote:
> What on earth is the difference between "absolute" and "clone of?"
>
> Furthermore, and I am reasonably sure that this is a dumb question but I
> have a brain freeze; Suppose I configure the second monitor above, how
> would I get, say, mplayer to play a movie in that space? How do I get
> the mouse up there?

Not exactly sure what you are talking about when you say "absolute" and "clone
of" (what application are you looking at? which DE?), but generally --- if you
make a second display to be the clone of the first display, then it will be
exactly that --- a clone, displaying the exactly same picture that is on the
first monitor. Mouse and mplayer included.

However, if you want to enlarge your desktop to two monitors (with independent
workspaces), you want to arrange them (both logically and physically) side by
side, or whatever. Then, if you move the mouse to the right edge of the left
display, it will "continue" to go to the right display, and so on. Similarly,
you can drag&drop the mplayer window into the second monitor. Also, there is
certainly some CLI way to tell mplayer where to open the window, etc.

What exact problem do you have with this?

HTH, :-)
Marko