Clean install keeping home folder intact

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 02:22:07 UTC 2012

On 08/22/2012 09:03 AM, Ian Malone wrote:
> On 22 August 2012 13:38, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>> Tim:
>> Eddie G. O'Connor Jr:
>>> Which OS's would that be?...just to satisfy my own curiosity?...
>> There's CentOS, and there was (may still be) a long life version of
>> Ubuntu.  Where you install a particular release, and there isn't a
>> cut-off date for the creation of any updates.  So, you can do package
>> updates for years to come, without having to do a destroy and rebuild
>> total upgrade.
> Ubuntu LTS, every two years the regular Ubuntu release is assigned to
> be an LTS and updates for it are maintained for 5 years rather than
> the 18 months that most releases get. The most recent Ubuntu (12.04)
> is an LTS. But if you want a Debian server rather than a desktop then
> maybe just get Debian.
>
> CentOS or Scientific Linux are the obvious RPM based choices. As an
> alternative Open SUSE's evergreen project aims to extend support for
> nominated releases to 3 years (there was a similar effort for Fedora
> early on, but it's quite tough for a community-based effort, so not
> sure if SUSE will keep it up either). Then there are the paid-for
> enterprise options.
>
>> And, for the true gluttons for punishment, you can roll your own install
>> from the source files.  If you like, you can have very little other than
>> core files and networking.  No Gnome, KDE, whatever...
>>
> Though there you'd have to maintain your own updates (even if the
> minimal system should require fewer ones).

Wow....I'm just "blown away" by the depth, breadth, and EXTENT that
Linux goes!....this is like a kid in a candy store moment for me!..LoL!
Debian?.....gonna have to check that one out too......and
Scientific?.......now THAT sounds interesting....ESPECIALLY to a nerd
like me...LoL! Once again thanks to all of you....you're like my own
personal "Computer Expert Emergency Team"!......LoL!

EGO II