Just A Question....

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 23 02:51:55 UTC 2012

On 2012/08/22 19:05, Fedora User wrote:
>> OK so first off...this drive was "created" and used on a Windows XP/7
>> computer...which I have neither of so I can only assume they're NTFS
>> files. When I say they're locked, all the data is "missing" or "hidden"
>> by something called "WD SmartWare"...there's nothing visible on the
>> drive but some folders with user manuals in various languages, and three
>> ".exe" files...the SmartWare one....another called "Virtual CD
>> Manager.exe"..and finally one ominously called "Unlocker.exe" I've tried
>> to access any and all of them to no avail....
>
> First off, I haven't the first clue what that crap is. What I would do
> is install virtualbox and then create a virtual windows machine to try
> to work with this drive. You are usually better off installing vbox from
> the rpms at virtualbox.org than yum.

This describes what he's dealing with:
http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=440

He is working with a backup copy of a drive. Modulo any security
passwords and such that may be involved he may have to pull the data
back using the same computer and OS installs that wrote the backups.

More probably if he can get the "WD Smartware" program to run under
Wine he might be able to get somewhere.

If not a VirtualBox Win 7 install can be used to pull the data off,
perhaps. (Don't bother to register the Win 7. It'll run for a month
or two before demanding you do something. Then it will keep running
in an obnoxious annoy the user mode after the time out.)

{^_^}