Clean install keeping home folder intact

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Aug 23 11:41:02 UTC 2012

Tim:
>> Just following up on what I should have included.  CentOS is very
>> similar to Fedora (it's based on it, but quite an older version).

Ian Malone:
> Well, strictly speaking, CentOS is based on RHEL, which is made by
> RedHat and I don't think (but don't know for sure) that it's directly
> based on any version of Fedora. But if you want to think of it as
> Fedora with an older versions of (maintained) packages then that's not
> too far out. Lots of similarities, the occasional difference.

Yes, I didn't quite get that right.

CentOS is based on RHEL (it's a free compilation using the source from
Red Hat's Enterprise Linux, that they sell).

RHEL is kind-of based on Fedora.  What's tried out in Fedora will,
probably, end up RHEL, eventually, if it seems successful.  Probably the
simplest description is that RHEL is based on the prior release of RHEL
and parts of older releases of Fedora.  I say "older" because Fedora has
a much faster turnover of releases than RHEL does.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.