Magic Sysreg key problems.

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Aug 22 13:17:30 UTC 2012

Am 22.08.2012 15:13, schrieb Aaron Konstam:
> Well please try b and let me know if the reboot occurs. The problem is b
> is the only one where the results are obvious. I am willing to believe
> that people see the output in dmesg or /var/log/messages, but they don't
> really know if the action is executed.

sure

S: you hear the emegency.sync on a RAID10 device
K: i see that if KDE freezes a come back to Login

B: you SHOULD NEVER use it alone because you could also use hardware-reset

posted many times but nobody reads docs people telling:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

unRaw      (take control of keyboard back from X),
 tErminate (send SIGTERM to all processes, allowing them to terminate gracefully),
 kIll      (send SIGKILL to all processes, forcing them to terminate immediately),
  Sync     (flush data to disk),
  Unmount  (remount all filesystems read-only),
reBoot.

    Hold down the Alt and SysRq (Print Screen) keys.
    While holding those down, type the following keys in order, several seconds apart:
    REISUB
    Computer should reboot.