Weird freeze

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Aug 21 22:47:51 UTC 2012

Am 22.08.2012 00:43, schrieb Joe Zeff:
> It just happened again.  I have reason to think that Firefox is responsible, but at present, it's just a guess.
> (One way I can tell it's happening is that I have an analog desktop clock running, and don't maximize windows.  As
> long as the sweep-second hand's moving, I know the box hasn't froze.)
>
> None of the Magic SysReq keys worked, and I ended up using the reset button again.  After rebooting and logging in,
> I opened a terminal and as root ran
>
> tail -f /var/log/messages
>
> to watch what, if anything happened.  I then used RightAlt-SysReq-r and saw the response that the keyboard had been
> set back to default.  Using s caused an emergency sync, so I know that it works when I'm in X, something I hadn't
> tried before.  Now we know, it's not just X that hangs

and for that is STRG+ALT+Print+K which kills X really
and bring you back to the login-screen which is way
more helpful than a complete reboot or reset

Kill all processes on the current virtual console (Can be used to
kill X and svgalib programs, see below) This was originally designed
to imitate a Secure Access Key

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key