No suspend on lid close

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri Aug 24 17:40:59 UTC 2012

On 08/24/2012 10:24 AM, fred smith uttered this comment:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 08:49:26AM -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:

>>> I've noticed the same problem on my eeepc (32-bit). I can't even find
>>> an option in screensaver or power settings screens to enable standby
>>> on lid close, like there was on previous versions. is there some
>>> application that needs to be installed for that, or has it just
>>> gone AWOL??
>>>

>> I mam not sure what you mean by standby but gnome-tweak-tool (called
>> Advanced Setting)) on the application list controls what happens when
>> the lid is closed.
>
> in my post above standby == suspend. sorry.
>
> I don't know about the OP, but I'm running F17 with MATE. but I've
> also looked in gnome desktop as well as xfce, and I can't find any
> setting for that. certainly there are menus for when on AC power and
> also for when on battery, but none that I've found offer suspendn as
> an option. :(
>
> ah, I see gnome tweak tool available in "add/remove software". If it
> provides important functinality like configuring power management for
> laptops, I'd sorta think it would be installed by default. I always
> "just had it" in previous installs on this machine, so I wasn't expecting
> to have to install something in addition.
>
> Installed now. thanks for the pointer!

In XFCE, if you right-click on the battery monitor and go to
"Preferences", you can select "Suspend" for lid close for all the
profiles. I have it set to "Suspend" for my "On Battery" profile and
"Lock Screen" for the "On AC" profile.

The usual caveat of "It works for me" applies here.