Openvpn: how to start at login?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Aug 25 15:55:26 UTC 2012

Ed Greshko wrote:

>> I have a script
>> ---------------------------------
>> #! /bin/sh
>> sudo systemctl restart openvpn at client.service
>> ---------------------------------
>> which I run (under Fedora-17) if vpn is not connected when I logon
>> (normally after hibernating).
>>
>> I'm wondering if there is a "systemctl enable" or similar command
>> which will do this more simply?
>
> Which desktop do you use?  KDE has an Autostart capability.  You could
> modify your script to detect if the connection is active and if so do
> nothing and if not run the "systemctl restart" which you currently run by
> hand...which is what I think you are doing.

Thanks for your response.
But that's essentially what I do.
I can see if vpn is active.
If it isn't I run the script.
(I do run KDE, incidentally.)

But surely there should be a way of enabling this service,
as there used to be?
Wouldn't it be much simpler just to default to client,
which I imagine is what 99% of users want?
Why can't openvpn run like every other service?

Simplicity ... simplicity ... simplicity

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net