Openvpn: how to start at login?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 18:36:55 UTC 2012

On Saturday, 25. August 2012. 17.55.26 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> But surely there should be a way of enabling this service,
> as there used to be?
> Wouldn't it be much simpler just to default to client,
> which I imagine is what 99% of users want?
> Why can't openvpn run like every other service?

In what sense openvpn *doesn't* run like every other service?

I have openvpn set up and running here on my laptop. The client is basically
always active and retries periodically to reconnect to the remote server until
success (laptop might not always have a connection to the Internet). I never
hibernate the machine, but suspending to RAM and back is completely
transparent, openvpn stays active all the time.

I'm on F16 here, but there should be no difference to F17 AFAIK, since both use
systemd.

All I did to set up openvpn with systemd was to follow instructions on the
Fedora wiki:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Openvpn#Working_with_systemd

What exactly is the problem in your case?

HTH, :-)
Marko