error banner popped up: Oh oh ... Something went wrong ...

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Sat Aug 25 22:00:21 UTC 2012

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012, JD wrote:

> FC16, just run a full update.
> Rebooted (with latest kernel).
>
> I got the error banner for the first time during boot, but just before the
> gdm greeting banner:
>
> Oh, oh. Something went wrong ....etc.
>
> Found that someone has opened a bug about this with redhat bugzilla: 819340
> back in May of this year (2012).

That is a rather useless generic error message (from gnome-shell I think)
which doesn't give you a clue as to what actually went wrong, so the bug
report you found could be a for completely different problem. Try logging
in at a text console (which you can get to by pressing ctrl-alt-Function
key, eg. ctrl-alt-F3) and checking logs such as /var/log/gdm or
/var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if they give some clue as to what the problem
actually is.

 	Michael Young