Unable to force wodim to write a CD at 2X speed

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Aug 26 07:31:19 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-08-25 at 20:49 -0600, JD wrote:
> using driveropts=forcespeed speed=2 .....etc  does not work
> using  ... speed=2 ..... does  not work
>
> wodim always writes at the medium's encoded speed, which
> ranges from 10X to 24x.
>
> However, using speed=2 on DVD media DOES work.

It could actually be the media.  They have a set list of speeds that the
media is good for, and shouldn't be burnt at other speeds.  It's quite
likely that some media doesn't support 2x speeds.  It could also be the
drive.

Changing burning speeds requires changing the power of the laser.  The
drive may not be able to change powers for the speed that you want, or
the media mightn't be suitable.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686