F16>F17: F17 can't find root by uuid - which exists!

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Sun Aug 26 20:45:51 UTC 2012

On 26.08.2012, sean darcy wrote:

> >[liveuser at localhost ~]$ blkid /dev/sda2
> >/dev/sda2: LABEL="root" UUID="89afb6ff-4fb2-4602-94b5-99dbf022b100" TYPE="ext4"

I can't find something wrong in your grub.cfg. What do you see when
you try to boot, are there any errors / is there any related output on
the screen when it fails?

Have you looked into device.map, if your devices are listed correct?

If you want to boot from absolute device, write "root=/dev/sda2" into
your grub.cfg.

If this is not working either and nobody has a clue what's going on, I
would try to reinstall grub2 via grub2-install, after booting from an
external media. You can avoid chrooting by using the --root-device
parameter. Mount your root-partition on /mnt:

 grub2-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

I'm not quite shure it is a problem with dracut, but without any
further information it will be impossible to be more precise.