Unable to force wodim to write a CD at 2X speed

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 03:13:04 UTC 2012

On 08/26/2012 11:35 AM, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote
> DVD burn speed is not the same as CD burn speed. This is why you
> have both CD and DVD speed specs on drives. When it comes to CDs,
> there are two different blank formats. You have the 1x to 4x and the
> 4x to ?x. You can not burn the 1-4x at faster then 4x. You can not
> burn the 4x-4x+ CDs at slower the 4x. This has NOTHING to do with
> DVD burning speeds.
>
> Check your drive CD burning speeds and CD blank speeds. See if they
> are rated to burn at slower then 4x. If not, then regardless of the
> software, you are NOT doing to be able to burn CDs slower then 4x.
> Again, this is different then DVD burn speeds.
>
> You may want to do some research on burning CDs and DVDs so that you
> understand the difference. You will probably discover that your
> hardware will not burn CDs at slower then 4x.
>
> Mikkel

Thanx for the explanation.
So, I tried
$ wodim -v dev=/dev/sr0 speed=4 image6.iso
. . . .
Speed set to 1764 KB/s
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed  10.0 in real force TAO mode for
single session.

I interrupted the burn, as it did not obey 4x speed.

So, I tried 6X.

Script started on Sun 26 Aug 2012 12:53:20 PM MDT
$ wodim -v dev=/dev/sr0 speed=6 image3.iso
. . . .
Speed set to 1764 KB/s
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed  10.0 in real TAO mode for single session.

When I add driveropts=forcespeed, it still says:
.
.
.
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed  10.0 in real TAO mode for single session.

I believe that wodim may be the source of the problem.