Spam question

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Aug 27 16:54:06 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-27 at 23:30 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Good luck in getting them to stop....  :-) :-)

Yes, reporting spam to someone in control of sending spam, isn't going
to work, you'll get even more of it.

I'm not saying /that/ person is, I'll let someone else make a definitive
accusation, but it's something that you have to check for before making
any spam reports.  Been there, done that before.

These days, I rarely ever bother reporting spam.  Chances are that
thousands of others have seen the spam, several will have reported it,
and various mail services' automatic spam detectors found it and dealt
with it (such as informing the various block lists that program various
different anti-spam systems).

Any ISP ought to be in a very good position to identify spam with a much
higher degree of certainty than any user.  They'll be bombarded with it,
lots of identical messages (99% that they'll be spam), and to lots of
addresses that don't really exist on their network (dictionary attacks,
which will be a 100% certainty of being spam).  Service providers may
well get thousands of spams a minute, don't think that they don't do
something to minimise it.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686