Natural Selection.....

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 09:20:55 UTC 2012

On 08/27/2012 11:38 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr.
> <eoconnor25 at gmail.com <mailto:eoconnor25 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Will have to figure out which one will be a server...a storage
>     machine....etc.
>

> Linux is linux.... you will learn that after fiddling with several
> distros.
> Each will have its own arrangement of icons, desktop manager, choice
> of pre-installed packages, but in the end... all are Linux... usually
> with the same applications available from its repos....
>
> So, it´s always wise to "KISS" (Keep it simple, s...eriously)
>
> I have chosen fedora because:
>
> 1. It´s got a large users community, so software is tested by hundreds
> of thosands (millions?) of eyes, and bugs are identified faster and
> solutions-bugfixes workarounds arribe quicker
> 2. it´s as close to ´bleding edge´ (latest versions of gnome, etc) as
> comfortably possible, without being alpha-quality software
> 3. being one of the "top 3" distros (Fedora, Ubuntu, SUSE), I never
> ran across a piece of software that I wanted to install that didn t
> have a fedora rpm available.
> 4. it´s got corporate backing/funding so its long-term prospects are
> somewhat secure.
>
> Of course there´s tons of niche ´community´ distros but IMHO it´s akin
> to flying in a small single-engine fumigation airplane that takes off
> from an unpaved runway... you can get your own ´custom´ flight
> experience and custom decorated airplane but you can´t really blame
> anyone or expect top level service when things go wrong... specially
> in points #1 and #3 above...
>
> So, I´d rather fly United... ;) er... Fedora
> FC

This actually makes sense to me! I've been mucking about with a few
other distros and I'm discovering that the Gnome desktop environment
suits me fine....although Cinnamon, MATE, and KDE are very nice eye
candy that would be great substitutes should the Gnome people ever
decide to call it quits. I'm also loving the Community here, it appears
to be HUGE! So I think I'll keep flying "Fedora Airways" and just use
the smaller planes for testing, storage etc....

EGO II