Disconnect

Mikkel L. Ellertson mellertson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 18:19:24 UTC 2012

On 08/28/2012 10:49 AM, Kevin Martin wrote:
> On 08/28/2012 09:13 AM, Patrick Dupre wrote:

>>> Wasn't this covered in another thread already?
>>>
>>> If you want to see ifconfig output just before disconnecting, open a
>>> terminal,
>>> type "ifconfig", read the output, then disconnect. It's pretty
obvious, I
>>> guess.
>>>
>>> So, the nonobvious thing is: what precisely is the actual
problem you are
>>> trying to solve? Please try to be more precise.
>>>
>> I want it does it automatically!
>>

> The problem I see in what you are trying to do is that there is no
way to determine when exactly a disconnect will be taking place.
> If you know exactly when a disconnect will take place then it
should be fairly simple to script it but if the disconnects take
> place randomly there is no way you'll be able to script it. You
would have to have a program (daemon) running with hooks into the
> network stack that reported statistics at the time of the
disconnect and I don't think that's easy to do and certainly would
require
> an in depth knowledge of programming at the driver level to do it.
>
> Kevin

One thing you could try is creating a /sbin/ifdown-pre-local script.
You will have to do a compare of $1 with ppp0, and exit if it is a
different interface, because it is run before bringing any interface
down. I am not sure if Network Manager uses the ifdown script, but
you could alway run ifdown ppp0 to disconnect. This will not help if
the interface goes down without you telling it to.

Mikkel
- --
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and
taste good with Ketchup!