Error in update via yumex, F16

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 20:37:22 UTC 2012

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 12:31:34 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:

> Every morning I have yumex update my system while I'm cooking breakfast.
>   Today, it failed with this error:
>
> 11:28:59 : YUM: error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h#   16675 Header V3
> RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID a82ba4b7: BAD

Is this the full output? The "BAD" there is reason to be concerned.
What package does it refer to?

> 11:32:02 : YUM: Transaction couldn't start:
> 11:32:02 : YUM: /usr/sbin/useradd is needed by nscd-2.14.90-24.fc16.9.i686
>
> Checking, /usr/sbin/useradd exists and has the proper permissions:
>
> [joe at khorlia Desktop]$ ls -l /usr/sbin/useradd
> -rwxr-x---. 1 root root 101168 Feb 13  2012 /usr/sbin/useradd

That doesn't matter. Only what's found in the RPM database and in added
packages matters. For example, running

  rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/sbin/useradd

prior to an update transaction must list this file as being provided,
and no update package must move that file to somewhere else.

> I tried running the transaction again, with nscd unchecked, but it was
> re-added as a dependency.  I let it go to see what would happen and so
> far, at least, it seems to be running OK.  Has anybody else seen this,
> or know why it happened?

I'm not familiar with yumex, but do you get the problem for every
operation using yumex? Or just for an update? Is there something
equivalent to "yum clean …" to get rid of cached packages and/or metadata?