How to run e2fsck on partitions of internal disks?

Zdenek Pytela pytela at phil.muni.cz
Wed Aug 29 16:45:30 UTC 2012

Zoltan Boszormenyi writes:
> >>How can I run fsck on /home or maybe on / for that matter?
> >>I guess booting the Fedora 17 DVD in rescue mode can be
> >>used. But how to do it without it? I have used yum to upgrade
> >>from F16 (and F14 before) and don't have the DVD at hand.
> >	The easiest way is to boot to single user mode: in grub either
> >choose apropriate menu entry which boots directly into single mode if you have it,
> >otherwise choose any kernel entry and edit line beginning with linux and
> >append the word 'single'.
>
> I did exactly that way, you didn't quote that part of my mail where I wrote it.
> Let me quote now: " I booted into single mode and ran "umount /home" "
> I did it before running e2fsck but it complain about "resource is busy".
> I checked it, it wasn't mounted and the contents were not available under /home.
> So, what has captured my partition that prevents fsck?
	Booting directly into single mode (from grub) should not lead to
running daemons using home. You can check which services/mounts are
configured to single. And kill daemons which are run on /home:
fuser -m /home
Or try to remount.

> >	There are other ways: rescue mode from fedora dvd, any live
> >distribution on usb stick, booting from boot.fedoraproject.org. You may need
> >to remount root fs:
> >mount -o remount,ro /
>
> I wanted to do without burning an extra DVD and waiting some hours
> while the DVD is downloaded. Thanks anyway.
	Making liveusb stick is a bit easier, it will not be extra thing,
and you don't need to download full fedora instalation image. BFO also works
fine if your network card supports network boot.

--

--Zdenek Pytela, <pytela at phil.muni.cz>