Fedora 17 - Postfix

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Aug 29 20:26:56 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> said:
> Confuses me as well, though as far as I know, sendmail has always
> been the default in fedora. I do see that redhat have switched
> to postfix as the default mailer on RHEL6, which makes fedora
> sticking with sendmail even more confusing.

RHEL is "downstream" of Fedora, so generally things don't flow from RHEL
to Fedora.

The main reason for sendmail still being the default is that it has
always been the default, and there's no significant gain in changing it
for the vast majority of installs (where the local MTA never gets
touched).  An effort has been made to not require _any_ MTA in the
default install, but I don't know where that stands.

The alternative to no-MTA would be to have a very simple
queue-and-forward MTA for locally generated messages (maybe connected to
dbus to watch for network changes and such), not a full-features MTA
such as sendmail, postfix, exim, etc.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>