Failure to acquire IP over DHCP

Dale Dellutri daledellutri at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 16:25:47 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a weird problem; at my office every time I try to connect to my
> wall outlet, my laptop gets assigned an internal IP (192.168.0.114) and
> I cannot access the internet.  However everything works as expected when
> I use any other wall outlets.  To add to this, when other laptops
> connect to my wall outlet, they  work properly.

I assume by "wall outlet" you mean an RJ45 port.

I assume you're using Fedora.  Which one?  F16, F17?

Could you post the output of two commands:
  # ip addr show
  # ip route show

Do it for each of the two cases:
  1. When you cannot access the internet (and you get the internal IP
192.168.0.114)
  2. When you can access the internet (you say that everything works
when you use
any other wall outlet).

--
Dale Dellutri