Failure to acquire IP over DHCP

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 18:59:54 UTC 2012

Hi Marko and others,

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 06:24:58PM +0200, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> Let me guess --- on other outlets you get a real IP, 137.138.*.*, right? And
> that works as expected?

Yes, exactly.

> Is the MAC address of your laptop registered with the CERN admins?

Yes, my MAC address is registered with CERN[1].

> In plain english, your machine first asks the server 137.138.16.6 for an IP
> assignment (DHCPREQUEST). The server refuses (DHCPNAK). Then your machine asks
> which dhcp servers are out there (DHCPDISCOVER), and asks anyone for an IP
> assignment (DHCPREQUEST). Three servers respond: 137.138.16.6 and 137.138.17.6
> refuse (DHCPNAK), while 192.168.0.1 accepts (DHCPACK) and gives you an
> internal IP, which doesn't seem to be able to access the outside world.

I did ask for help, but apparently we ran into a dead end.  However
later an admin got in touch with me personally, however it's night here
and he will probably continue tomorrow again.

> I am not sure if this is a misconfiguration or implemented on purpose, but the
> CERN admins need to figure out why both of the two 137.138 dhcp servers have
> refused to give you an IP. This is the problem on their end of the wall
> outlet. Your machine seems to be configured correctly and also behaves
> correctly.

As far as I know, I should get an external IP.  So things like:

  $ ssh user@<external IP>

works.

> The guys at CERN usually know what they are doing, so the best bet would be to
> ask them for help, they should certainly be able to fix this.

There is no doubt they definitely know what they are doing very well,
the "official procedure" however is painfully slow[2].

Footnotes:

[1] And yes, I do work at CERN.

[2] Today is the 3rd day since I reported my issue.

--
Suvayu