How to revert to Thunderbird 14? Thunderbird 15 breaks an add-on

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Thu Aug 30 19:58:10 UTC 2012

On 8/30/2012 15:48, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 08/30/2012 12:34 PM, Don Levey wrote:
>> As for the Linux version, I honestly don't know.  Perhaps a
>> separate utility to scan the XPIs installed and check the Mozilla
>> database against the new version?  I don't know if that's possible,
>> or even if that's a realistic thing to suggest.  I am not a
>> programmer, or I would try doing something like that myself.
>
> Right now, both Thunderbird and Firefox do exactly that the first
> time you run them after an update.  The problem is, how do you
> arrange to get that done *before* the update is installed, and how do
> you deal with the needed input from the user.  Remember, it's quite
> possible that this might be run from a CLI with no GUI running.

Indeed.  I can't see how to integrate it with the blanket "yum update",
but a CLI utility that simply spits out a list?  Could that work?  No,
it's not idiot-proof, but it could serve the purpose.  The fact that
this does happen, after the (update) fact, tells me that at least the
engine is there.

> I had no intention of being offensive, or of insulting you.  Alas, I
> seem to have done so anyway.  Please accept my apologies for this
> inadvertent offense.

Thank you, and please accept my apologies for possibly coming off
negatively also.  It has apparently been a less-good day than I had
thought, but I shouldn't have let it get to the keyboard.

> Actually, AIUI, what's needed isn't programming skills, it's the time
> and patience to test the new Thunderbird with various add-ons active
> and see if it works OK.  The term "Copious Free Time" is a fairly
> standard way of reminding people of how limited that resource always
> is.

I could certainly put some time into that sort of testing, though
whether it's enough is another question.  I'd done that before when the
Lightning project was trying to get things to work with the CalDAV
server I use.

 -Don