working wireless card (TL-WN881ND)

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 20:37:16 UTC 2012

Hi,

Just posting this as a data point, since I've found it hard in the
past to find out what wireless hardware is going to work or not
(difficulty in finding out card chipsets, checking support for the
chipset etc.), particularly for PCI cards.

I've replaced my PCI EDI Max EW-7122 (ralink rt2500 chipset) with a
new PCIe wireless card: TP-Link TL-WN881ND (Atheros AR9287 chipset).
Back when I got it the rt2500 was one of the best supported wireless
chipsets, but the card was beginning to show its age[1]. The new card
is a 802.11n-compatible with two aerials, though my AP is still 11g,
so I'm still limited to 54Mbs max. I haven't seen much difference in
raw signal or reported link quality, but the link stability and
through-put under Fedora 16 seem to be much better than previously.
http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN881ND

[1] I think there are a number of factors: where I am now I get poorer
signal, obviously bandwidth demands have gone up over the years, maybe
there's some hardware degradation and finally, though the team
supporting the kernel driver have made a great effort the driver
pre-dated the newer wireless stack and never seems to have been quite
right since.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk