Multi-protocol IM clients

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 23:43:22 UTC 2012

On 08/30/2012 10:44 AM, John Aldrich wrote:
> So, I've decided to jump back onto IM after a few years. My last
> Linux-based IM client was AYTTM, but I'm not even sure it's still
> packaged with Fedora, although I suppose I could "roll my own" so to
> speak. :D I'd prefer to use a pre-packaged IM client.
>
> I've tried Pidgin, but I'm having a problem where if I change my
> status to "away" it freezes out the keyboard and won't let me type
> anything until I close Pidgin and start it back up.
>
> I currently use LXDE and KDE. Anyone got a suggestion for a good
> multi-protocol IM client? I used to use Trillian on the Windows side
> of things, but I try to stay away from Windows as much as possible. :D
>
> Thanks!

I know exactly what bug you're talking about, I noticed it appeared a
few revisions ago. If you're not afraid of using out-of-date code
(supposedly new code has security fixes), you can download an older
version of Pidgin from http://koji.fedoraproject.org
The bug also has a workaround -- if you can use your mouse to click a
top menu item, everything goes back to normal.

HTH