Euro symbol under Fedora-17/KDE

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 14:46:25 UTC 2012

Hi Timothy,

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 03:08:37PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Suvayu Ali wrote:
>
> > I am not sure about VIm, but for most apps[1] I use a compose key.
> >
> >   setxkbmap -option compose:lwin
> >
> > The above allows me to enter the € symbol by typing <Left Windows>e=.
> > Hope this helps.

[...]

> Thanks very much.
> That is certainly helpful, and I shall adopt your method
> if no-one suggests a way of entering shortcuts in System Settings,
> or somewhere like that.

I forgot to mention in my earlier email; if you end up adopting this
method, put the setxkbmap line in your shell profile file instead of
your rc file (e.g. ~/.bash_profile instead of ~/.bashrc).  This way it
should work with all applications in your next session, even the ones
you run from the menu or the Alt+F2 run dialog.

To add a side note, if you know the unicode hex for a character, you can
always enter it using Ctrl+Shift+u<hex code>.  So for the €, that would
be Ctrl+Shift+u20ac.

--
Suvayu