Euro symbol under Fedora-17/KDE

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Aug 31 16:51:29 UTC 2012

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 12:40:50 -0400
Doug <dmcgarrett at optonline.net> wrote:

> On 08/31/2012 08:55 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > I take it the official way to enter a euro symbol in vi/vim is AltGr+4.
> > I find this works about 20% of the time.

Rather odd - alt-gr should be mapped to the right shift on a US keyboard
I believe, so holding down alt-gr and hitting 4 should be a reliable
event.

Is the problem vim specific and what is your locale set as ?

> Why not create a Compose key?  Then you get the € symbol by
> hitting compose, then e then = . And a whole lot of other useful
> things, like all the diacritical marks for the European languages,
> other monetary symbols like £, ¥, ¢, the Spanish ¿ and ¡, the
> German ß and even a Greek letter or two.

May be a vim problem. With a UK keyboard btw compose is shift-altgr so

shift-altgr (remove fingers) e =  produces €

(and there are lots of other useful ones for accented symbols for © etc..)

Alan