f16 preupdate from f14, xfce logout error

jackson byers byersjab at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 19:11:48 UTC 2012

A few days ago I successfully got f16 installed
via preupdate from f14.
It came up in gnome i think but it wasn't too good,
even some warnings that I didnt capture.
Couldn't find logout panel for a long time,
seemed to be accessed on top row, on far right off screen.
Why isn't logout-restart in a more obvious place?

So I tried xfce via "yum groupinstall xfce"
That seemed to complete without error
but it seemed that I was still in gnome;
not sure now, but I think gnome persisted even with reboots.

I was/am mostly ignorant of any xfce details, how to start it.
Fumbled my way in the "Add/Remove Software"
and tried to get xfce working, which it did after
a reboot.
I had originally thought that doing just
"yum groupinstall xfce"

would be sufficient to get xfce operating but that does not
seem to be the case.

Is getting xfce to replace gnome, a multiple step process?
1)"yum groupinstall xfce"
2)"Add/Remove Software" and click on all or most all "xfce"?

 When I finally got up in xfce,at least partially working,
I could not find the logout-restart panel.
I must have finally hit someething but it kept coming up
with a "failed-logout" message
and left me with a blank window
To try to fix I had to go to a console and
login and use "startx"
then xfce came up again but still couldn't find logout-restart panel.

Upshot:  continually coming up with:
Failed to receive a reply from the session manager
The name org.xfce.SessionManager was not provided by any .service
files[root at f16a9 ~]#

any hints, help
would be appreciated

Jack