Euro symbol under Fedora-17/KDE

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Aug 31 22:46:03 UTC 2012

On 08/31/2012 02:47 PM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 07:04:00PM +0200, Heinz Diehl wrote:
>> On 31.08.2012, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>>
>>> [1] Actually everything except Emacs.  Emacs has many input methods of
>>>      it's own; I prefer a TeX-like input method.
>> Emacs is easy :-)
>>
>> AltGr+e is all you need to get the € sign.
>>
> I never seem to get this AltGr key; which one is it?  I have a ThinkPad
> with a US English keyboard, but my LANG is en_IN.UTF-8.  How do I get
> this to work?
>
> Or is this an alternative to the compose key[1]?
>
> As for Emacs, my typing in emacs involves a lot of mathematical
> equations[2] in notes and commit messages.  As far as I know,
> compose/AltGr keys are not as well suited for that.
>
> :)
>
> Footnotes:
>
> [1] I have compose key working very well.
>
> [2] e.g. ∂²(LL)/∂²x or ∫dt·exp(-Γt)

a) I have never seen an AltGr key on any keyboard I have ever seen in
the United States.
b) When you make a Compose key in your Linux, you can choose which key
you want to
have as your Compose key.  It will still function in its usual fashion,
AFAIK.  If you have an
MS keyboard, then a good key would be the right MS key--even Microsoft
doesn't seem
to use that for anything!  But if you have an old IBM model M--the
world's best k/b, I
think--then you can pick a different key.  I have selected the right
CTRL key.  Another
good choice would be the right ALT key.
c) If you also use Windows, you can get a free program called AllChars
which will do
just about the same thing, and also allow you to choose a key. Almost
all the key
combinations are the same for both systems.

--doug