Controlling displays with HDMI output

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 01:24:21 UTC 2012

On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 20:04:03 -0500
Alex wrote:

> Another problem is with the display size of the HDMI.

Are you using the closed source ATI drivers, or the open source
radeon driver? For me, only the open source driver works
well. The proprietary ATI drivers were designed by utter morons
who believe that people might be upset if digital display
devices didn't emulate the "overscan" crap that CRTs were
subject to.

Somewhere in the ATI control panel there is a way to adjust
the overscan setting down to zero, but in my experience it doesn't
actually go all the way to zero, so font rendering is absolute
crap because you aren't actually getting 1 for 1 pixels
from the logical to the physical display.

Of course some TV manufacturers also think it
is a good idea to build artificial overscan into their LCD
displays - you might want to poke around in the TV menus
and try different display modes.