dual boot Win 8 and Fedora 17

Carroll Grigsby cgrigs986 at att.net
Mon Dec 3 16:41:01 UTC 2012

On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 16:08:42 +0000
Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 December 2012 15:28, Matti Pulkkinen
> <matti.pulkkinen3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 3.12.2012 17:17, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> >>
> >>     b) If you disable secure boot there is no problem except that
> >>        'os-prober' does not work and I do not know if Win 8 will
> >>        except this without fiddling (or in the worst case
> >> reinstall)
> >
> > I'm sorry, I realise that this is completely off-topic, but because
> > I happen to be in the market for a laptop, I was just wondering,
> > how does one actually disable secure boot? Is there a menu entry in
> > the BIOS for it, or is it more complicated than that?
> >

> Don't think it's that off-topic, since a lot of us may have to deal
> with it eventually to get Fedora working.
>
> FWIW, on a BIOS / NON-UEFI system Win8 + F16 are working okay (Win8
> installed after Fedora and then reinstalled grub2). You also get to
> decide which is worse: Metro or Gnome shell. (Metro in my opinion, and
> the reasons for that probably are completely off-topic.)

ZDNet's UK Linux guy, J.A. Watson recently wrote about getting Fedora
(and other Linuxes) running on a spanking new HP laptop. Short answer:
It worked. Take a look here:
http://www.zdnet.com/hp-pavilion-dm1-4310e-swapping-windows-8-for-linux-7000008029/

He has new post up (at least on the ZDNet UK site) about replacing the
hard drive with an SSD type. Even more joy.

-- cmg