Controlling displays with HDMI output

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Mon Dec 3 20:11:51 UTC 2012

Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an fc17 system with two LCD monitors and an HDMI output to my
> TV using a Radeon HD5700 card. The TV is in a completely separate
> room. I also have a USB cable running to that room, and have a
> wireless keyboard and mouse connected, so I can control my PC from the
> other room.
>
> I have two problems I hoped someone could help me resolve.
>
> Can I configure the displays so they all havbe the "Activities" menu
> at the top, so I can access them from both rooms? Currently, it's only
> displayed in the far left display, whether it's the HDMI when it's
> connected, or one of the LCDs if I disconnect the HDMI. Obviously if
> I'm sitting in front of the computer, I'd like to be able to access
> the GNOME menus, and vice-versa when I'm in the room with the TV.

This sounds like you basically have two separate “seats” within the
definition of the Fedora Multiseat Feature:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ckremoval
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/multiseat
except that it currently looks like you need one graphics card per seat.
You might find this approach a more elegant solution.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | Space Opera: General term for a subgenre of adventure SF
aprilcottage.co.uk | in which the men are heroic, the women beautiful, the