DVD drive on Dell Vostro not seen by F17

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Mon Dec 3 23:00:28 UTC 2012

My Dell Vostro was upgraded from F16 to F17 a while back. I went to rip some
CD's using grip on Saturday to find that it wasn't installed - which means I
haven't used the DVD drive since the upgrade.

However, after installing grip, and then any other program I tried that
accesses the DVD drive failed to find the device.  I looked in /dev and there
is no cdrom, dvd* or even sr0.

Also, the eject button on the build in media strip (above the keyboard) didn't
work.  Booting into WinXP proves that the device still works perfectly.

Can anyone give me a clue as to where my DVD drive is, or why Linux can't see
it.

I've saved the dmsg output at http://www1.ringways.co.uk/dmesg.txt
--
Gary Stainburn