NFS4 problems -

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Dec 3 23:35:56 UTC 2012

On 12/04/2012 06:12 AM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
> On 03/12/12 15:46, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
>> On 03/12/12 15:27, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>> Why do you have "bind" listed in the options for a remote mount?  It should be defaults,rw,user just like you have for 192.168.1.48.
>>
>>    Confusion I'm sure. I did try "defaults,rw,user" it had no effecto on mounting at start up so I put it back as you see it.

It is adding to the confusion.

When you use the "mount" command manually as you do not all the information contained in fstab is used.  If you were to type "mount -a" then, I believe it would.  It may not be the cause of the boot time issue, but it is probably reason behind seeing

/dev/sdb3 on /mnt/HOME1 type ext4 (rw,relatime,seclabel,data=ordered)

after boot.

Please humor me and leave it as "nfs4   defaults   0 0".

>>> Just to make sure I am understanding what you've done....
>>>
>>> On 192.168.1.8 (the server)  show the output of....
>>>
>>> cd /
>>> ls -l
>>
>>        [bobg at box7 ~]$ ssh bobg at box8
>>        bobg at box8's password:
>>        Last login: Mon Dec  3 09:35:47 2012 from box7
>>        Could not chdir to home directory /home/bobg: No such file or
>>        directory
>>        -bash-4.1$ ll /
>>

>    I realize there is stuff that can be removed from "/" but don't
>    think it is causing my problem.

I just wanted to see this output....  But, I now notice you have "Could not chdir....."

So, could you....

cd /home
ls -l

>    "Because "bind" in in your fstab on the client"  Not sure what this
>    means?

Explained above.....

FWIW, there is a bugzilla about mounts not happening at boot time.  I need to determine if that may be what you are seeing.  I have to relearn what needs to be checked.