ImageMagik PDF manipulation rotate, thumbnail, problems

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 14:55:54 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 12:01:57PM +0000, Tethys wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Gary Stainburn
> <gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Because some people don't know which way up to put pages into a fax machine I
> > also give the user the ability to invert a fax by calling
> >
> > /usr/bin/convert $1 -rotate 180 $2
> >
> > However, the resulting PDF file is very poor quality so I changed this to
> >
> > /usr/bin/convert $1 -density 300x300 -rotate 180 $2
>
> Use the right tool for the job, which in this case isn't ImageMagick:
>
> 	pdftk $1 cat 1-endS output $2
>
> In general, ImageMagick is rarely the right option anyway.

I agree with you that pdftk is excellent for manipulating pdfs, but why
do you say "ImageMagick is rarely the right option anyway"?  I use it
all the time to manipulate images (jpg, png, etc); it seems to work
quite well.  Please do not take my query the wrong way, I'm just curious
what you think ImageMagick lacks.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu