Feature request : transcriber

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Dec 6 16:48:01 UTC 2012

Allegedly, on or about 06 December 2012, Beartooth sent:

> 	People I know are forever sending URLs that are just talking
> heads. I don't do talking heads.

I tend to dislike them, too.  It's seriously annoying having to sit
through some twenty minute talk, especially when they blather on, rather
than being able to read a transcript at whatever pace you prefer.  It's
compounded by not being really able to fast-forward and rewind clips on
the internet.  Skipping back and forth is not the same thing.

> 	But iiuc there is now software that transcribes speech, though I
> don't know how well. Would it then not be possible to write software that
> would go to a site and transcribe what is said there? Even if it could do
> only one speaker, it could save a lot of us a lot of time.

I have to wonder about how well a transcription you're going to get.
There's some quite awful speech recognition used on YouTube (it can
auto-caption some videos), but the text is often amusingly, or
annoyingly, wrong, depending on your point of view.  You can also see
the same sort of thing on some television news broadcasts.  Some of them
use voice recognition, and others of them are probably still be using
stenographers typing live into the caption equipment.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.6.8-2.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 27 19:35:02 UTC 2012 x86_64

public lists.