OT - PogoPlug

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Dec 6 21:44:57 UTC 2012

On 12/06/2012 04:30 PM, fred smith wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 01:04:56PM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> I am looking at getting a PogoPlug from Ebay.  The P21 model that has 4
>> USB ports.
>>
>> The description only lists to EXT3.  I have 2 EXT4 drives that I would
>> like to plug into it without reformating (lots of stuff on them).  Does
>> anyone know if this will work?
> I think I've read that you can mount an EXT4 as EXT3, but you lose
> the journaling when you do that. And I don't know what possibly bad
> things may happen to the filesystem, if the system modified it while
> thinking it was EXT3, that may rear up and bite you later if you
> mount it subsequently as EXT4.

Well I am setting up a ClearOS file server (box just arrived) and I will
get an internal 1TB drive for it.  I can kind of shuffle things around
and empty my 1 & 2 TB USB drives, reformat them as EXT3 and put them on
the PogoPlug.  The intension is to use the PogoPlug as the backup for
the COS server (and my Fedora notebook).  The 1TB on line all the time,
and the 2TB kept in a firebox for weekly backups.