attach usb scanner to cups?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Dec 8 21:09:01 UTC 2012

Mike Wright writes:

> I followed the previous thread with interest ("Network scanner").
>
> I'm running CUPS on an old laptop with a parallel port printer attached.
> The printer is detected and added and is available network wide.
>
> I also have an old Epson USB flatbed scanner.  It works and is usable with
> xsane, gimp, etc. on the localhost.
>
> Is it possible to make this available via CUPS?

No, CUPS is for printing only. Sane has its own network service.

Naturally, you should have sane-backends installed on all machines.

Put your subnet into /etc/sane.d/saned.conf on the server with the scanner.

Then, on each client that you want to use your scanner, put your scanner's
server hostname into /etc/sane.d/net.conf.