default sound device with kde phonon/gstreamer-backend

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 20:07:19 UTC 2012

Does anyone have suggestions about this? Maybe I'm missing something
very obvious. I'm using a system which has a HDMI sound (by virtue of
a new graphics card) and a dedicated sound card (which is what I want
to use). Trying out KDE I've found that applications like amarok want
to output to the HDMI output. I can't see any way to change this.
KDE's multimedia configuration shows only the pulseaudio device. The
device setup menu shows the individual devices (including also a
webcam microphone), but doesn't appear to give any way to change the
default or priority. Pavucontrol shows the output to HDMI and that can
be changed on a per application basis, I can also set the fallback
device using it (which allows KDE to play a test sound to it), but
it's not an ideal solution and amarok seems to ignore the fallback
device, requiring it to be explicitly changed. Not ideal. How can the
priorities be set properly for KDE/Phonon/Gstreamer back-end?

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk