Backup To Hard Drive....

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 05:33:34 UTC 2012

On 12/07/2012 07:38 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 12/08/2012 08:07 AM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
>> I am currently using Fedora 17 on a Gateway T-6321 Laptop with 3.0GB of memory and a 320 GB Hard drive. I am trying to run the "Backup" that came with Fedora and have the entire set of files save to an external 2.5" SATA Hard drive connected with a StarTech enclosure that connects to the laptop via USB. Everything starts just fine....I create a folder on the drive and start the backup...about 3 minutes in I get an error message telling me that process could not complete, because f a permissions error. I have used GParted to format the drive with ext4 and cleaning all the space on the drive...but even after I do this I cannot create files or folders on the external hard drive to use for backups. Is there something I need to do with this drive so that I can use it for backing up my Fedora laptop on a biweeky basis? More info below:
>>
>> External HDD = Western Digital "Scorpio" 160GB Serial ATA HDD
>> Connections = StarTech InfoSafe USB 2.0 SATA Drive Enclosure
>>
>> Fedora 17 with all updates installed. (Including latest GRUB)
> Why don't you show the process and actual errors you are getting?  Showing the disk layout?
>
> You said....  "I create a folder on the drive...." and then you say "I cannot create files or folders....".
>
> A pure guess at the moment....  The top most directory is owned by root and you're doing the backup as regular users and the permissions on the top directory doesn't allow for creating directories below.  You also don't say "how" you are doing the backup.
I apologize, after looking into it....you were right I was trying to
create / access files and folders on a hard drive as a "regular" user
and not root. After changing this I was able to backup my Fedora laptop
successfully. Also I was using the "Backup" application that came with
Fedora 17 (Deja Dup) I like it because it's simple and gets the job done
with speed, accuracy and minimal work on my part.

Thanks Ed!

EGO II