default sound device with kde phonon/gstreamer-backend

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 08:16:34 UTC 2012

On 10 December 2012 07:15, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> On 12/10/2012 02:16 PM, jarmo wrote:
>> Sun, 9 Dec 2012 20:07:19 +0000
>> Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> kirjoitti:

>>> be changed on a per application basis, I can also set the fallback
>>> device using it (which allows KDE to play a test sound to it), but
>>> it's not an ideal solution and amarok seems to ignore the fallback
>>> device, requiring it to be explicitly changed. Not ideal. How can the
>>> priorities be set properly for KDE/Phonon/Gstreamer back-end?
>>>

> I have 3 sound devices.  One is a USB headset while the others are....
>
> 01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller  (HDMI)
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset
>
> I use pulseaudio with no problems.....
>
> skype allows one to select which audio device to use for what.  So, for ringing I use the Intel device while or my "speakers" I use the USB headset.

Unfortunately Amarok for one (and most KDE apps it seems), does not
give this option, just sends you to Phonon setup.

> Using pavucontrol I can "show applications" (while they are running) and the select which output device to use.

This is the only thing that's working and it's far from an ideal solution.

> Also, under KDE System Settings....  I can go to Multimedia-->Phonon and select the order if device preference.  Intel is on top for me...

Regrettably I just get a single entry for the Pulse Audio Server. Some
background might be in order, this is with Jack running and providing
Pulse sinks/sources. I know Pulse is still being used - pavucontrol
still shows the devices and the playback stream can be switched on to
jack_out - but there's no way to change device priority in Phonon.
Sounds like I need to find out why this has disappeared.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk