Fedora 17

Phil Dobbin bukowskiscat at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 16:09:31 UTC 2012

On 12/10/2012 12:59 PM, Henrik Frisk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have now migrated to Fedora 17 (clean install) and configured and
> installed most of what I need. Though I think everything looks very
> good my computer is considerably less responsive than under fedora 13.
> I haven't worked that much yet but emacs in particular is very slow.
> Incorporating 5 messages into MH-E can take a couple of seconds. My
> hardware is a MacBook Pro 5,2, I'm running nvidia drivers. Anyone
> knows of something I can do to get it a bit more speedy?

I'm using Fedora 17 on an Lenovo Think Centre (it's about five years
old, I think. I bought it with a 17" Lenovo screen both refurbished for
about £100) with 2 GB's of RAM enjoying the full Gnome 3 experience & it
fairly zips along.

It's running MySQL, Postgres, Mongo, Apache, Puppet, Ruby on Rails
amongst other things plus Spherical in a kvm vm & shows no ill effects
whatsoever.

As has been mentioned, I'd be sceptical about putting Linux on my
Macbook Pro although my wife ran Ubuntu for a while with no ill effects
on her Macbook but she was mainly using it for surfing, email, that sort
of thing but switched back to Mac in the end.

Also as has been mentioned, if you are struggling & suspect Gnome is the
culprit, switch to another desktop. It will speed things up for sure. As
for emacs, I can't comment as I use vim & that doesn't suffer from bloat
in the least :-)

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.8 & 6.3, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy & Spherical,