libvirtd startup issue

Tommy Pham tommyhp2 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 21:26:17 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've managed to configured everything to as below:

* 2 physical NICs configured not to have IP addresses but are bridged instead
*** ifcfg-p9p1 bridged to ifcfg-br9 which does not get an IP
*** ifcfg-p10p1 bridged to ifcfg-br10 which has static IP
192.168.1.254 with 24 bit mask and gateway 192.168.1.1

* 3 isolated networks and no DHCP service
*** DMZ0 with no host IP configuration
*** DMZ1 with no host IP configuration
*** PRIVATE with no host IP configuration

* VM 1:  00-router with 5 NICs, 2 from bridge and 3 from isolated
networks, are configured in the VM as follow:
*** ifcfg-br9 is configured for DHCP.
*** ifcfg-br10 is configured static IP of 192.168.1.1 with 24 bit mask
and has DHCP service
*** DMZ0 has static IP and 24 bit mask
*** DMZ1 has static IP and 24 bit mask
*** PRIVATE has static IP and 24 bit mask

* various VMs in different isolated networks configured with static IP
and 24 bit mask.

I have the proper rules in place where the LANs can communicate to
each other as needed and are able to get out to the internet.  I also
have network and NetworkManager services on autostart on system
start/reboot, which I can view the network and NIC properties OK with
the KVM manager GUI.  My only problem is libvirtd does not seem to
start up properly even if I modify the /etc/init.d/libvirtd to have it
sleep for 5 minutes prior to execution.  To resolve it, I'll have to
restart the libvirtd after system startup via "systemctl restart
libvirtd.service".  However, that does defeat the purpose of autostart
of the VMs :(.....   Does anyone have similar issue or know how to fix
it?  This same configuration works fine in CentOS 6.3.

TIA,
Tommy