how can i get widescren display on my new Dell 3010?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Dec 13 22:42:32 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 12:32:38PM +0100, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> On 13.12.2012 03:53, nomnex wrote:

> >> 	what do you mean, windows8?  I have never run run windows--not
> >> 	even to torture myself.  I have only run unix: sun, bsd,
> >> linux.
> > At the time of my purchase, All models available in the
> > local electronic stores will be sold with W8 & UEFI enabled
> > (particularly the laptops). that's what I meant.
> >

> Sorry to join your conversation but I don't quite understand something.
> You can't say that UEFI is enabled or disabled nor can you enable or
> disable it. UEFI is "next generation" BIOS replacement. Perhaps you
> refer to Secure Boot but didn't mention it in your post?

	as I think I mentioned yesterday, the one difference that I
	discovered between *this* fedora 17 {ethos} and my new one
	{tao} is that ethos has an nVidia card; tao has an ATI
	graphics card.

	I send email to my technician who send me a URL to a ubuntu
	12.10 download.  ai think the only thing I need to fix the
	resolution problem is to buy an nvidia card, or swap this
	one.

	that said, I'll fess up and admit that "back in my day" the
	VAX 780 was the leading computer.  the computer I had in my
	co-op was an 8085-8088 running M/PM.  I knew very little about
	computer hardware =then=; I dont know any more these days.
	if Fedora-17 has no advanced drivers from the ATI 6778 card,
	I'l have to have the tech come out and put in the nVidia
	and reboot.  [cant do much myself because I have been disabled
	since around age 9.]

> Mateusz Marzantowicz
> --

              Twenty-six years of service to the Unix community.