how can i get widescren display on my new Dell 3010?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 09:00:03 UTC 2012

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 14:42:32 -0800 Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 12:32:38PM +0100, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> > Sorry to join your conversation but I don't quite understand
> > something. You can't say that UEFI is enabled or disabled nor can
> > you enable or disable it. UEFI is "next generation" BIOS
> > replacement. Perhaps you refer to Secure Boot but didn't mention it
> > in your post?
>
> 	as I think I mentioned yesterday, the one difference that I
> 	discovered between *this* fedora 17 {ethos} and my new one
> 	{tao} is that ethos has an nVidia card; tao has an ATI
> 	graphics card.
>
> 	I send email to my technician who send me a URL to a ubuntu
> 	12.10 download.  ai think the only thing I need to fix the
> 	resolution problem is to buy an nvidia card, or swap this
> 	one.

Gary, please keep the two topics separate. The UEFI bios and Secure
Boot have nothing to do with graphics cards, nor the resolution of the
monitor.

Also, you do not need to change your ATI card for the nVidia one. The
problem with the resolution exists because your KVM switch is
interfering with the communication between the monitor and the
computer. Just follow the instructions that I gave you in the other
post (about booting computers one by one, and having the monitor active
on each during boot), and the resolution problem will go away. Your ATI
card should work fine, no need to change hardware.

Btw, you would have the same problem if the card was nVidia --- this is
completely brand-independent.

HTH, :-)
Marko