Transfering files to a Samsung Galaxy III

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 23:36:10 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-12-14 at 12:02 +0000, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> On Friday 14 December 2012 10:42:30 Yashar Imanlou wrote:
> > I prefer SwiFTP, this program makes the phone/tablet a ftp-server, then you
> > can easily transfer your data...
>
> I've just installed wellFTP as it wouldn't find swiFTP. I'm very impressed.
> Works a treat

Other alternatives: Rsync and Airdroid. The latter runs a web server on
the phone and you can drag and drop stuff using the Wifi connection :-)

See also mtpfs (yum install ...) for use over USB connections. Mounts
the phone using FUSE and lets you use standard utilities to copy files.
*However* it's worth remembering that the underlying MTP protocol, which
is the only one supported over USB on Android 4, is very limited, e.g.
no seeking or incremental updates, plus IIRC no moving files between
directories, so don't expect it to work like a thumb drive. Mtpfs tries
to disguise this by using a local backing store, but you need to be very
careful to unmount the phone properly before disconnecting it or killing
the mtpfs process.

poc