building ppp from src rpm failed in f17

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 15:00:25 UTC 2012

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 15:27:15 +0100, Heinz Diehl wrote:

> On 16.12.2012, Kevin Wilson wrote:
>
> > But wasn't the process of installing the src rpm as I did
> > was supposed to look for it? isn't the src.rpm is the origin when
> > preparing rpm in the Fedora project release process ?
>
> Yes, I see your point, and I'm thinking the same.
> This raises the question how the .rpm for F17 acutally was compiled..

You can always examine the spec file inside the src.rpm *and* also
visit the Fedora Build System logs:

   -> http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/ppp/2.4.5/22.fc17/data/logs/x86_64/build.log

I'd rather raise the question why Kevin did not simply rebuild the
src.rpm? Instead, he extracted the source and tried to set it up
manually instead of using the spec file's %build section.

Try to rebuild it after installing the "redhat-rpm-config" package.
Run:

  rpmbuild --rebuild ppp-2.4.5-22.fc17.src.rpm

If that doesn't change a thing, consider publishing the _full_ output
from rpmbuild. For example, from "rpmbuild -bb ppp.spec" or at least
from "rpmbuild -bc ppp.spec".

--
Fedora release 18 (Spherical Cow) - Linux 3.6.10-5.fc18.x86_64
loadavg: 0.11 0.07 0.05